Friday, September 13, 2013

Easy Birthday Board

  You may have noticed that personalized birthday boards are very popular photo props right now, especially for first birthday portraits.  Every year I like to interview my children about their favorite things.  This usually results in a piece of notebook paper placed in a memory book or lost in a memory box.  A birthday board is a great way to display those favorite things.  When the time came for Willa Wren's 4 year portraits, I really wanted to create a board, but wasn't sure where to start.  Black foam board?   Chalk markers?  Learn "fancy" writing?  Sounded expensive and very time consuming.  Then the light bulb went off:  I can do this in Photoshop!


Before:


After:

How I created this super easy birthday board:


  I bought an inexpensive 16x20 canvas from Hobby Lobby and painted it black with acrylic craft paint.  I then took a used chalkboard eraser and rubbed it over the canvas to create a smudged chalk look.  I photographed Willa Wren holding the frame with the blank board.  All of the text, stamps, and bunting flags were added in Photoshop.  Easy as pie!  

Here is where I found the fonts:




Another example from a Senior session:






Have fun & enjoy creating your own birthday board! 

Amy
Hundred Thousand Fireflies

My photo
Georgia, United States